We are grateful for our lovely followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 20 September 2010

Challenge 30 - Around the world

Good Afternoon everyone and welcome back for another challenge! Thank You for your awesome clean and simple cards, you really love that one and so did we! If you havent received a comment yet fear not as we will get round you all. Winners will be announced this week for CAS and the 2 spotlights.

Our team is being joined today by SHEILA who was a previous GDT here and I have asked her to join us permanently. Please give her a warm welcome to the team :)

If you look over to the right we are installing our team badges. None of us like the trend of putting our mugshots on the sidebar, we don't want to scare you after all so this is our version of it based on our personalities - You might want to ask Corry and Kat round as they're clean freaks lol!


*****************************************

CHALLENGE 3- AROUND THE WORLD

As its coming up to World Cardmaking Day we're having an Around the World challenge.  Think African, French, British, Oriental, Stars & Stripes, Polar Bears etc but please note your design MUST BE EASILY IDENTIFIABLE AS RELATING TO A COUNTRY/CONTINENT.  If in doubt please leave us a note. 

As always our Spotlight Challenge is still running for another week and is on alcohol inks so maybe you could combine the two.  Please also note that it is alcohol inks NOT markers.  If you walked into a craft shop and asked for them they would not pass you a packet of copics ;)


We are sponsored today by The Stampman who have sooo many goodies in their store so please go check them out if you've not been before.  They have a huge range of stamps including their own Aspects of Design, yummy moonglow products which are two toned, lots of ranger and Sir Tim products and much much more!  The Stampman are offering a £10 voucher for the winner so get your thinking caps on!
Lets have a look what the team have come up with for this one, please pop over to their individual blogs for more info and to leave some loves :)



I have chosen the Far East for this Challenge, and, using a 5 x 5 card blank, coloured my image with Promarkers and matted and layered some lovely oriental-looking papers; attached a narrow ribbon; added the Chinese sign for 'Friendship' and added 2 lovely embellishments.


I used Hamish in Kilt from Sugar Nellies and paper-pieced his kilt in the same tartan Kanban card as the background and his jumper and sporran using scraps of green and brown.  The rest of the image is coloured with Promarkers. The blue card behind the image has been embossed with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder. It's a male card so I've just finished off with some buttons.



For my demo for this week, I've chosen an image from one of my very favourite artists, Mo Manning, which I've coloured with my trusty Copics.

I've no clue what the the oriental writing says (if anyone can read it please elucidate!)  as the stamp set didn't come with a translation and I apologize for any offence if it's not the right way up!

The backing papers and ribbon are from stash but I think they were originally from Readicraft.



Well, I'm off to Venice for this challenge (been twice before, lol). I used a stamp from Darkroom Door and coloured it with Derwent Inktense pencils, blending them with a damp paint brush. The bg paper is from the Crafty Individuals Travels in Italy pad and I added Prima crystals and flourishes cut with the Sizzix Decorative Flourishes die. I have to be honest - Venice isn't really this colour. It's more terracota and beige.



For the Around the World theme I have chosen Africa. I made a DL size dark brown card and cut a leopard print paper smaller to show a border. I have used some rubber stamp images I have had from a swap a few years ago and coloured in with Promarkers. I wrapped funky fibres around the card and threaded with beads to match the paper which I have had in my stash for a good few years.

CORRY


For our Around the World Challenge, I have chosen to highlight India with my East Indian Tilda. When I saw this stamp, I just HAD to have her.....I explain why on my blog. I paper pieced her Sari & showered her with flowers including the embossing. Did you know the flower of India is the Lotus? This is what I tried to portray with the yellow flower creation in the bottom left corner (even though the lotus is primarily purpily/pink). I love my Indian Tilda! I hope you do too .


For my Around the World card, I chose Spain. This image is a digi stamp called "holly in spain" from Charmed Cards and Crafts.My papers are actually from the Forever Friends gift wrapped christmas range but I think they work well as its hard to find Spanish looking papers lol The rose and leaves are from Wild Orchid and the gems and peel offs are from my stash.

Lin

I chose Africa for my Around the World card. All of the bps are handmade papers which I have had in a secret stash forever! The stamps were from Frantic Stamper in the US. I coloured the background before stamping with a Big N Juicy Spice inkpad, sponging random colours mostly from the orangey section until I had covered the card. Before it had a chance to dry I spritzed on some Touch Of Mica in Gold all over the top. Sadly, the photo is not picking up the shimmer. The word Safari was cut out with a Sizzix alphabet from the same paper behind the image, and I liked the way bits of the gold pattern appeared on the letters making them look almost tribal.

LISA


I've chosen an arctic (or is it antarctic?) The image is one of the new 'cute squares' from LOTV, so no colouring involved with this one, although I did add lots of stickles to the image for some sparkle.  The hardest thing about using a pre-coloured image is finding papers that match - it took me ages!  Found these in my stash, they're possibly dovecraft, and I've added a piece of whitewash coredinations that I've embossed with a snowflake folder and then sanded back.  Added some snowflakes cut with a MS punch, a Cuttlebug icicle die snowflake that I've cut down to make it smaller, blue card candy, ribbon and a computer generated sentiment.  I was very happy to find that the LOTV squares fit perfectly in the largest nestie scalloped square :o)

Challenge closes in two weeks - 4th October at 9am GMT 

2 comments:

  1. Really inspirational dt cards x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab challenge, hope my van qualifies, It might make a trip round the world!!
    Thank you Debbiexx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in our challenges and leaving lovely comments.